Site Meter

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Distress Class

Yesterday, my friend Lori and I took a 'Distress' class at a local stamp store. I had taken a collage class at this same store, and from the same instructor awhile back, so when the opportunity came up to do this class, Lori and I decided to take it together - which is SO much more fun than taking a class alone. Though we didn't feel we learned anything NEW in the class, we did enjoy the time spent taking it. We were able to finish a few tags and the elements for one of the cards. When I returned home, I finished up one of the cards and I simply LOVE this card.


In the past, I have not been much of a fan of this type of look, but I am quickly learning to love it and look forward to doing more of this type of art.

Here is one of the tags I did during class.

Large bold images like this really work well for this type of art. I did the background first with the distress inks - using a combination of 'tattered rose', 'aged mohagany', 'fired brick', 'dried marigold' and edging with 'pine needles'. I also roughed up the edges with a distressing tool - very cool little tool that I had never seen before let alone used. Once the BG was dry, I over-stamped with the bold image of the tree. I liked it instantly as it feels like a fiery red sunset sky with the tree 'silouetted' against it.





I chose 'broken china', 'faded jeans', 'weathered wood', and 'shabby shutters' for the background. The image is a collage stamp and it wasn't large enough to fill the size of the tag, so I ended up cutting off the tag hole. The image is useful for adding to a card, or even a scrapbook page.

No comments: