Site Meter

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I wonder. . .


. . .how far a piece or two of DSP will go. Well, actually, I thought about the one sheet wonder technique - you have all seen them. You take a sheet of cardstock and stamp all over with a variety of stamps from a set in a variety of colors - or however you want. Then you cut that sheet up into different sizes and create a ton of cards. Well, I didn't quite want to do that - though I have a couple PERFECT stamps sets that would work beautifully - so I decided to take a look at my DSP (and believe me, I have TONS of that!!) and do the same sort of thing. Now, I decided rather than cutting into a fresh piece of the 12 x 12 paper that I would start from the pieces I already had cut. So, yesterday afternoon I grabbed one of my packages of DSP - this one is called Springtime Vintage (retired). The colors that coordinate with this package are: Not Quite Navy, Baja Breeze, Rose Red, Pear Pizzazz, Crumb Cake, River Rock, Very Vanilla and Always Artichoke. I have several cuts of the different patterns, however, for this set, I chose the Rose Red and Always Artichoke with hints of Very Vanilla. I should have taken a picture of the papers BEFORE I started so you could see what I had to work with - it was less than half of a 12 x 12 sheet though. So, I started to cut a bit here and matte it there until I came up with designs that I liked. I just pieced things together last night and did start to adhere a few of the matted pieces - just so I wouldn't lose them or forget what the design was that I was trying to achieve by the time I got back to the spa this morning. When I had all my pieces cut the way I wanted, I cut some labels from the decorative label punch. I used the scallop trim border punch for some of the matted pieces. I also used the Weave and Distressed texture plates and the Framed Tulips textured impressions folder. I used Rose Red and Always Artichoke ink for my sentiments and I used these stamp sets: Afterthoughts (hostess set from the 2010-2011 catalog), Well Scripted, Filled with Love, Because I Care (another hostess set from the 2010-2011 catalog), and Whimsical Words (Sale-a-bration) set. Now, as many of you know, I like clean and simple designs, however, I don't like TOO much 'white' space, so I had to fill in (where I didn't use texture) and add pearls, rhinestones or ribbon. My supply of ribbon colors is fairly limited right now - well, at least for this color scheme, so I had Very Vanilla satin ribbon, Very Vanilla seam binding, Very Vanilla grosgrain ribbon (can you see a color pattern here?) and the Victorian crotchet trim - which just happens to be in - you guessed it, Very Vanilla!! I do have Crumb Cake seam binding, but for some reason, it just didn't look to me like it went well with the colors. So, when I was all done cutting, trimming, gluing on rhinestones and pearls, embossing, and tying bows, I ended up with 12 cards!!! Isn't that amazing? and if you could only see the SMALL amount of DSP that I started with, you WOULD be amazed. From this same package, I have several more pieces to cut up and make into lovely cards - and that is only ONE package of my DSP and it doesn't even use up the package - but it does take me down to 8 - 12 x 12 pieces from a package of 12. Now, how many more packages of DSP do I have like this you ask? Well, you will just have to stop by over the next millenium and find out! lol Let's just say that I don't have room in my bins for all the DSP like this, so I have to pare it down in this way so they either lay or stand flat, (or I use it all up, whichever comes first). Of course, while I am in the process of doing this, I am sure to buy MORE because I LOVE color and the different papers are SO pretty. I am thankful that I am not a big fan of Hobby Lobby or Michael's and where I live they lack good quality Scrapbook stores, so I am limited by what is in my Stampin' Up catalog and some of the designs I don't particularly care for - so, in the next year, I MIGHT just get the chance to use up all these lovely scraps.

I hope you have enjoyed my jabber today and my take on the One Sheet Wonder Technique. If there are any cards that you would like to take a closer look at, feel free to let me know and I will post them here.

Next up on my 'Wonder Plan' - Baja Breeze!

Have a wonderful rest of your day and thanks for stopping by the spa today - I hope you have enjoyed your visit.


~Paula~

1 comment:

Paula (PEP) said...

Oh - you made me laugh; I collected paper at first but now I'm determined to use what I have ...... but somehow I seem to win paper packs! I'm not complaining though. Amazing what you did with these.
Intrigued by those texture things (but then I'm SEEING Big Shot/Sizzix items like my eyes have been opened).
Paula (PEP)